Liberty Fire Department Established 1947
The Liberty Fire Department was recognized on January 1, 1947. Warren Keefer was appointed the first department fire chief, in charge of thirty volunteers and one station. It purchased its first pumper in April of 1947. The fire department became a full-time department on April 28, 1962 with the hiring of three full-time firefighters. The department continued to build its supply of rescue vehicles by purchasing its first ambulance in 1969.
Today it is a progressive combination department with two stations housing sixteen full-time firefighters, and a fluctuating number of part-time and volunteer firefighters. The fire department provides fire suppression, Emergency Medical Services (paramedic ambulance), fire prevention/inspection, training, emergency preparedness, hazardous material related service and other programs. The department is dispatched by the Trumbull County 911 Center.
The fire department services eighteen square miles and 13,700 residents. There is light industry and heavy commercial development, with professional offices, national chain hotels and motels, small and large retail business all accessible by 3 major highways: Interstate 80, State Route 193 and State Route 11.