Everything You Need to Know About Zoning
The mission of the Liberty Township Zoning Department is to enhance the quality of life in Liberty Township by working cooperatively with the public within the framework of the Zoning Resolution to enforce the regulations, preserve the character of the Township, encourage controlled growth, prevent blight and contribute to the over all advancement of the Township objectives.
THE PURPOSE OF ZONING
Zoning is a locally enacted law that regulates and controls the use of private property. A major purpose of zoning is to provide for the best use of land while preserving the character of a community. Another major purpose is to provide for the orderly growth of the Township, to protect and preserve property values and provide for the public health and safety. Zoning is also an important tool in attracting new business and industry to a community. The ability to attract new commerce to a community is vital for providing the tax base to support the services afforded the citizens of the Township.
The Zoning Department is located in the Township Administration Building, 1315 Churchill-Hubbard Road, Youngstown, Ohio 44505.
Office Hours: Monday – Friday from 7 am to 3 pm.
Phone Number: (330) 539-9838 Mr. James Rodway is the full time Zoning Inspector and the Township Code Enforcement Officer
Forms & Applications
Garage Sale / Block Parties
To hold a block party in your neighborhood, please complete the Block Party Application and submit it to the at least 3 weeks before your scheduled event. If you are requesting to close your street for the day, it must be approved in advance. If approved, make sure that no permanent or heavy structures be placed in the street. Anything placed in the street must be able to be moved easily and quickly should emergency vehicles need access during the event. For more information, contact Martha Weirick.
Phone: (330) 759-1315
Zoning Board of Appeals
Zoning Commission Members
Zoning Appeals Application Procedure
An application can be made at the Zoning Office for a variance, a conditional use certificate, or to appeal a decision of the Zoning Inspector. You will need the following:
Completed Zoning Application for the request and appeal application. All applicants should be aware the Board reserves the right, prior to issuance of any granted permit, to require the reduction and filing with the Board any display documents (renderings, drawings, etc.) which are of such a nature that the applicant is unable to leave the original document or the original document is of such a size or made of such a material as to be impractical to be made a part of the file. All such oversize documents must be reduced to a size not more than 11″ by 18″.
- A non-refundable fee of $250.00 is required
- Filing Fee is payable at the time application is submitted to the Zoning Office.
- Parcel Number, Tax Mailing Names and Addresses – Provide the parcel number, tax mailing names and addresses of adjoining property owners. The parcel number and property owner name for each adjacent property may be obtained at the County Auditor’s Office. The tax mailing addresses may be obtained from the Treasurer’s Office
The application will not be processed without submission of the proper information. After properly submitting to the Zoning Inspector, the application is then referred to the Liberty Township Board of Zoning Appeals.
A hearing date and time will be set. The applicant will be notified by Certified Mail; adjacent and across the street property owners will be notified of the hearing date and time by certified mail according to law.
In the case of a variance request, the applicant must be prepared to show hardship or practical difficulty. For additional explanation, please refer to “variance’ definition in the Zoning Resolution Book.
- Any pertinent information required by the Zoning Resolution relative to the application must be provided at the time of application. This includes the site plan and/or landscaping site plan and any other information required or requested in the zoning resolution. The hearing will be advertised in a newspaper of general circulation at least ten (10) days prior to the scheduled hearing.
- In the event of approval of the request by the Board of Zoning Appeals, the applicant should call the Zoning Department for information as to when permits may be secured.
- In the event any party adversely affected by the decision of the Board of Zoning Appeals objects to the action, an appeal must be filed within thirty (30) days in the Trumbull County Common Pleas Court for further action.
- Applicant shall be responsible for additional costs incurred as a result of the cancellations, continuances or changes to the original request caused by said applicant. He will be responsible for additional costs incurred in the event of readvertisement and renotification or special studies deemed necessary by the Board.
Zoning Fee Schedule
Zoning Fees based @ $6.00 per $1,000 of improvement cost.
Minimum Fee $25.00 for any permit.
|Frame with vinyl or other siding||$80.00 sq. ft.*|
|Frame mix of siding and stone/brick||$85.00 sq. ft.*|
|All brick or stone||$90.00 sq. ft.*|
|Garages||$17.00 sq. ft.*|
|Decks||$15.00 sq. ft.*|
|Business/Professional||$80.00 sq. ft.*|
|Commercial/Retail||$70.00 sq. ft.*|
|Industrial/Warehouse||$60.00 sq. ft.*|
|Storage Building/Garages/Pole Bldgs||$17.00 sq. ft.*|
*These are the minimums used to calculate improvement cost.
|Wall per sign||$50.00|
|Freestanding Multi Tenant signs||$100.00 base fee|
|+ $25.00 per tenant panel|
|Temporary 2 week sign||$25.00|
|Billboards single sided||$150.00|
|Billboard double sided||$300.00|
|Miscellaneous permit fees:|
|Above ground pool||$25.00|
|In-ground pool||$6.00 per $1000|
|Nuisance Administration fee||$100.00|
|Zoning Verification Letter||$75.00|
|Zoning Verification Expedited add||$20.00|
|Zoning Resolution Copy||$15.00|
Fee schedule effective January 1, 2016 Adopted by Trustee Resolution
December 14, 2015 Resolution Number: 15-118